Sunday, August 31, 2014

six of my best pieces of art! (and by "best" I mean "favorite")

Hello Internet!

I think I speak for most artists when I say It's hard to rank your work. Especially in college, when you're making such eclectic pieces for every which course, in addition to pieces you just randomly decide to spend a couple hours on. Here (in no particular order) are my 6 favorite.


1. foxbear (a series)

A project for Illustration class where I combined two animals (like a mad scientist) using different mediums. (From left to right: acrylic, cut paper, watercolor and ink, ink)


2. still life (in graphite)
Wasn't a big fan of this class, but this was by far my favorite piece. It's got my Green Lantern power battery, my favorite Mets hat I bought in New York, and my white PS3 controller! (All of my favorite things!) And since I'd never done anything like this, I really like the way turned out.


3. party cannon
"Party Cannon" was just some MLP fan art that got out of hand. I did a little pencil and ink, a little bit of crosshatching, and ended it all with some watercolors, and a touch of colored pencils. My favorite thing to do is get a well-known character and give them a little darker twist.


4. ecocord
Another Illustration project based on an eco-friendly conservation message, focusing on solar power. The tedious/fun part of this piece is the ridiculous amount of wires (and the cast-shadows in between them). 


5. Mickey Avarice Mouse
Again, I love making recognizable character all grimy and ugly. And if we're talking big business, Mickey isn't the cleanest character to start with. (I worked for the mouse for over a year, and it was... an experience). If you don't get the image, it's a comment on DIsney (who already owns Lucasfilms) tempting Stan Lee (Marvel Comics) with money in front of Disney Studios. . . . (figure it out)


6. TRUST ME (a series on doubt)

A piece I did over the summer. Oil on canvas with two LED light bars, and wood to block out the negative of the letters. I did everything on this piece from scratch. I cut all the wood for the back piece, the negative letter space, installed the lights, added the switch to the light's cord, and nailed the whole thing together. I really enjoyed the result of this random idea in my head, and figured I'll probably do a couple more using different phrases and faces. 

Well that's 6, and this is a super long blog entry, so I'll post more stuff later. But that's all for now!

-Lantern

No comments:

Post a Comment